Health, Safety & Environmental Specialist (Construction)
Company: Li-Cycle Corp
Posted on: June 25, 2022
- This role is a 2-year contractor position for a Health, Safety
& Environmental Specialist specializing in construction. The
project is the development of Commercial Hub 1 in Rochester, NY.
This position reports to the Health, Safety, Environmental &
Quality (HSEQ) Manager, and serves as an Owner's Representative on
the construction site. Day-to-day activities involve being on site
to ensure worker safety of various building trades and an overview
of environmental compliance. Written reports with photos will be
developed daily and a Summary on a weekly basis. The work schedule
may fluctuate depending on critical activity requiring safety
representation, including 2nd shift and possibly occasional
weekends. This position will attend construction meetings, escort
visitors on-site as needed, review site-specific safety plans, and
other HSE tasks as needed. The construction will occur during all
seasons and the HSE Specialist must be capable of working in cold
or heat and in varying weather conditions. A job site office is
located close to the work for comfort breaks.Primary
Responsibilities: Expectations of the following are intended to be
examples but may not be inclusive:
- Be present and actively walking the job site - 85-90% and
developing reports for the remainder.
- Develop good relationships with general contractor,
subcontractors, and direct contractors. Become known as a source of
information on how to work safely.
- Ensure Emergency Response contact information is kept current.
- Cooperate with the Li-Cycle Construction and Engineering Teams.
- Support the Li-Cycle safety culture. "See Something, Say
Something, Fix It".
- Review Activity Hazard Analysis or Job Safety Analysis and
address any deficiencies.
- Be directly involved in incident management by initiating
report(s) of any near misses, incidents of non-compliance, injuries
or environmental events regardless of severity; and provide an
initial report to the HSE Manager within an hour of occurrence.
Participate in or lead root cause investigations.
- Pay special attention to activities considered high risk:
- Electrical Safety
- Fall Protection
- Hot Work
- Machine Guarding
- Material Handling/Rigging
- Mobile Equipment (Cranes, PITs)
- Permit-Required Confined Space
Education & Skills:
- S. degree in HSE related courses or 5-7 years' experience as a
safety professional working in the construction field.
- Must be well-versed in both 29 CFR 1926 and1910 and
successfully ensure all operations are working within the
parameters of the regulations.
- Experience in investigating health and safety incidents;
provide reporting and recommend/follow action(s) to
- Must be competent in recognizing hazards and implementing
controls to reduce risk.
- Willingness to learn and share knowledge with others.
- Excellent time management and project management skills.
- Must be capable of working independently with minimal
- Possess effective leadership skills.Core Competencies:
- High-level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense
of urgency and results-orientation
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Proactive self-starter with an 'owner's mindset'.
- Consistently delivers quality work on time, with a strong
attention to detail.
- Strong analytical, negotiation and creative problem-solving
- Exceptional oral communication, writing and editing
- Demonstrated exceptional teamwork skills.
- Role Qualifications:
- The successful candidate will have worked on multiple
construction job sites as a safety professional and have experience
in high-risk activities and means of controlling the hazards to
reduce the risk to an acceptable level.
- Examples of construction activity may include but not limited
to concrete foundations, steel erection, plumbing & pipefitting,
electrical, hot work, etc. Equipment will include yukes, dozers,
rollers, dump trucks, cranes, and deliveries of ready mix,
materials, and process equipment. Work examples are leading edge
work, trenching, excavation, hot work, etc. The project will be
from the ground up; adding or improving roads, creating
bioretention area for stormwater run-off; and installation of
process tanks. Environmental overview will consist of tasks such as
but not limited to ensuring silt fences remain in good order and
other soil & erosion techniques are functioning, and that ready-mix
trucks are using the designated wash out areas, etc.
Keywords: Li-Cycle Corp, Rochester , Health, Safety & Environmental Specialist (Construction), Professions , Rochester, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!