When you are part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you
will do important work, and you will be valued and recognized for
your performance. With talented managers and inspiring coworkers to
support you, you will find the resources and opportunities to make
significant contributions to the world.
Thermo Fisher Scientific's Mission is to enable our customers to
make the world healthier, cleaner and safer, and the global
coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak is a powerful reminder of the
importance of that Mission. In fact, Thermo Fisher is at the
forefront of the global response to COVID-19. We are working with
governments, agencies, industry partners and researchers globally
to ensure priority access to instruments, consumables, safety
supplies and other products to address the outbreak. Our efforts
have been particularly focused in supporting analysis of the virus,
diagnosis, personal protection, and ultimately helping in the
development of new therapeutics and vaccines.
How will you make an impact?
Under the general supervision of the Manager - Automation
Engineering, the primary responsibility of this position is to
support manufacturing with respect to automated and semi-automated
post-molding equipment. This includes a variety of automated
material handling, assembly, decorating and packaging systems.
Responsible for detailed communication with Supervisors &
Maintenance about current state of automation related concerns.
This also includes detailed communication with Automation
Engineering on future department needs.
2nd Shift: 2:30 PM- 11:00 PM (Sun-Thur) - Penfield, NY
What will you do?
- Determines root cause of failures and problems with automation
- Communicates effectively, both verbally and in writing, to a
broad manufacturing base
- Troubleshoot & support:
- Various PLC formats with heavy emphasis on Allen-Bradley
PLC/HMI hardware and software: SLC, PLC, ContolLogix,
A wide variety of automation technologies, including: Robots,
Printing (Pad/Screen/Offset/InkJet), Ultrasonic Welders, Vision
Systems, Leak Testers, Labelers, Capping Equipment, reamers & other
- Works with equipment vendors to solve automation problems &
- Interacts with molding setups & process engineering to solve
component related issues & their effect on the automation
- Support Automation Engineering with installation of
improvements & new Automation.
- Coaches Automation Associates in work centers supporting root
- Develop / modify procedures & training guidelines as needed for
- Read & modify electrical schematics as needed for automation
- Designs, sketches & dimensions improvements to existing
- Tracks & helps maintain automation data (stops, scrap, etc) to
support continuous improvement process. Uses PPI tools and Lean
techniques to analyze data and improve processes.
How will you get here?
- Prefer Associate's Degree in Engineering or a Technical
Discipline. High School Diploma/GED minimum plus Equivalent
experience may be considered with a demonstrated record of
self-development and continuous learning.
- 5+ years related automated equipment experience.
- Must have a very broad electrical and mechanical background,
including hands on experience with PLC's, robots, motion controls
and associated programming software.
- Must have excellent troubleshooting and root cause analysis
- Must have excellent written and verbal communications
What Thermo Fisher Offers to Employees:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits effective on first day of
- Paid Time Off - Eligible to accrue up to 120 hours of Paid Time
Off (PTO), pro-rated based on start date
- 10 Paid Holidays
- 401(K) Retirement Plan - Company Matching Contribution up to
- Referral Bonus'
- Annual Incentive Program
- Shift Premium for night shift employees
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in
serving science, with revenues of more than $22 billion and
approximately 75,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable
our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve
complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver
medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through
our premier brands - Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems,
Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services - we offer an
unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing
convenience and comprehensive services.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer
and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion,
sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin,
protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected