Melting Thermal Process Engineer
Posted on: June 9, 2021
Requisition Number: 44535
Corning is one of the world's leading innovators in materials
science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its
unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical
physics to develop products that have created new industries and
transformed people's lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a
unique combination of material and process innovation, and close
collaboration with customers to solve tough technology
Corning Incorporated focuses on building a diverse global
workforce where differences are celebrated, and employees feel safe
bringing their "whole selves" to work. Our Diversity Network hosts
18 active and distinctive Employee Resource Groups. Employees have
access to Allyship resources, podcasts, an internal video channel,
digital learning series and trainings, all focused on building and
celebrating global diversity and inclusion. Corning has been
recognized as a leader in this regard and has been consistently
recognized as a national employer of choice.
Scope of Position:
- This is a technical position where the engineer is expected to
apply rigorous scientific method and mechanistic understanding to
improve glass melting process capability for new and existing
products, including flat consumer display glass, tubular
pharmaceutical packaging glass, and other emerging glass
- The work requires ability to work and influence across
organizational boundaries. Specifically, collaborating with
research and development to identify controlling mechanisms and
apply the understanding to manufacturing system to optimize a
process, modify data streams or suggest melt system
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Hypothesis generation, experimental design, and analysis of
data to isolate glass melt defect mechanisms and test
- Conduct hands on work in a laboratory, pilot or manufacturing
environment. Note the environment can involve high temperatures
and/or dirty environments.
- Communicate project status and updates to both the project team
and to management, including memos, technical reports and verbal
- Maintaining contacts with outside groups, such as consultants,
universities, and other professional organizations, to facilitate
problem identification and solutions.
- Minimum MS material science, material engineering or chemical
engineering, or 10+ years working directly in the field of glass
melting, melting defects, or other directly relevant
Required Years and Area of Experience:
- 2+ yrs experience in materials/ material transformation for a
- 0+ yrs experience for PhD
- Strong lab and experimental practices; can understand glass
defect fundamentals and recognize deviations and implement routine
- Able to collaborate across organizational boundaries and
- Strong data analysis and visualization skills
- Results oriented and high level of commitment. Able to work in
any stage of innovation and handle risk of failure.
- Drive to learn new technologies and processes quickly.
- Hot material process, such as melting and forming
- Knowledge of glass process modeling capability and how to
leverage modeling tools
- Experiences and accomplishments spanning from early stage
innovation to late stage manufacturing
- Knowledge of Corning processes and business systems
- Data analysis and visualization software, such as JMP, MatLab,
- Integrate well into cross functional team environments
- Communication skills (written & oral)
- Willing to take initiative; demonstrate leadership
- Ability to access and grow network to get things done.
- Expected travel is 30%
- Possibility of occasional higher project specific travel
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender,
age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity
or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided
reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or
interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to
receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact
us to request accommodation.
Nearest Major Market: Corning
Keywords: Corning, Rochester , Melting Thermal Process Engineer, Other , Corning, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!