Supervisor - Protection & Control
Posted on: June 9, 2021
Responsible for managing internal engineers and external
contractors. Reports to Manager of Protection & Relaying.
Supervisor will set policies, procedures, document standards and
oversee engineering activities for electric transmission and
substation system protection to ensure safe, timely and efficient
system operation. Supervisor will have direct functional
responsibility for Transmission and Distribution Operations and
Reliability improvements and cross op-co involvement of various
programs. Supervisor will act as an advisor to upper management and
an external representative to AVANGRID.
Responsible for the design, configuration, maintenance and
renewal of automation, data collection, protection & control
equipment subsystems on AVANGRID and it's owned subsidiaries: CMP
(Central Maine Power), NYSEG (New York State Electric & Gas),
Rochester Gas & Electric (RG&E), The United Illuminating
Company (UI), etc. AVANGRID's electric delivery system has
approximately 9,000 miles of transmission lines and 1,000
Engineering activities for electric transmission and substation
system protection projects to ensure safe, timely and
cost-effective completion. Conduct analysis develop estimates and
apply engineering standards and criteria to drive the completion of
projects. Coordinate with other departments, vendors, and
consultants in order to complete projects in a timely and
Ensure all protection system designs meet applicable company,
local, state, and national codes and standards (NESC, FERC, NERC,
NPCC, NYISO, ISO-NE, NY PSC, ME PUC, CT PUC, etc.).
MAJOR ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Scope of work - range of
- Personnel Management, Engineering Review, Process Management
and Project Management
- Perform engineering design, estimating, and analysis of the
electric transmission and substation protection systems in support
of capital construction programs, System Operations and other
departments. Perform engineering calculations and analysis. Review
and approve detailed protection system designs, including settings,
developed both internally and by engineering consultants.
- Review and approve work of internal engineers and engineering
contractors who provide protection engineering and design services
to ensure compliance with company standards, specifications, and
contract requirements. Develop technical specifications, standards,
contracts and purchase orders. Direct engineering contractors and
consultants performing system automation & integration roles.
- Management of department budgets.
- Design and maintenance of distribution protection systems
existing outside of substations.
- Development of technical specifications, standards, contracts
and purchase orders. Ensure efficient use of funds.
- Development and maintain Arc Flash Program.
- Serve as mentor in the technical development of engineers and
- Represent the company on regional and national committees.
- Communicate with and act as a company witness to state
- Travel to worksites on an as needed basis.
Skills and Requirements
- 8 years of experience in Engineering and 6 years of experience
in Protection & Control.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Master's Degree in Engineering preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of power system analysis and fundamentals of
- Knowledge of national and international standards, regulations,
and compliance requirements associated with power system
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, interpersonal, and
- Strong Electrical Design Experience.
- Proficiency and fluency in power system protection theory,
application, standards, design, test, commissioning, and
- Prior supervisory experience.
- Master's Degree in Engineering.
- Registered Professional Engineer or ability to obtain
- Develop Self & Others
- Empower to grow
- Collaborate and Share
- Be a role model
- Focus to achieve results
- Be agile
- Technical Skills
Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and
in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside
of their regular schedule/job duties. This is applicable to
employees that will work in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and
New York within AVANGRD Network and Corporate functions. This does
not include those that will work for Avangrid Renewables
AVANGRID's employment practices and policies are geared to
hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At
AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement
opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race,
color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age,
marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other
status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about
equal employment by following this link
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran
who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for
jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our
Human Resources department at 203-499-2777 or
Keywords: Avangrid, Rochester , Supervisor - Protection & Control, Other , Rochester, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!