Crown Castle works around the country to build and maintain the
infrastructure behind the world's most revolutionary technologies.
As the largest shared infrastructure provider in the United States,
Crown Castle owns, operates and leases more than 40,000 cell
towers, 80,000 small cells and over 80,000 route miles of fiber
across every major US market. This nationwide portfolio of
communications infrastructure connects cities and communities to
essential data, technology and wireless service - bringing
information, ideas and innovations to the people and businesses
that need them. Crown Castle is a NYSE S&P 500 and Fortune 500
company and one of the largest Real Estate Investment Trusts in the
United States with an enterprise value of approximately $85
Position Title: Supervisor, Utility Relations- 6E
The Supervisor, Utility Relations is responsible for overseeing
all aspects of utility production activities within the region and
leading a team of Senior Utility Relations Specialists, Utility
Relations Specialists, Utility Construction Mangers and/or
Coordinators. These teams will execute on utilities' production
deliverables, such as commercial electric service delivery, pole
attachment permits, and right-of-way and conduit access.
The position carries a high level of responsibility and must
adhere to established schedules to facilitate timely delivery of
the customer order. The Supervisor, Utility Relations assists with
utility agreement negotiations and skillfully addresses mid-level
escalations to minimize project impacts and protect Crown Castle's
Essential Job Functions
- Assist in the negotiation of utility attachment agreements and
similar authorizations as needed in accordance with Crown Castle
- Work with Utility Relations Manager in representing Crown in
meetings with utilities, developing and implement strategies to
improve relationships and accelerate processing of all utility
- Interface with utility staff on matters related to applicable
laws, codes and ordinances and effectively communicate and leverage
regulatory status in support of deployment objections.
- Challenge utility guidelines and/or prohibitions on proposed
deployments that may conflict with generally accepted engineering
principles promulgated by the NESC and NEC, effectively leveraging
internal and external subject matter experts as necessary.
- Advocate and articulate Crown Castle's regulatory rights and
ability place and maintain communication facilities.
- Collaborate and coordinate with internal functional groups to
resolve issues, to facilitate progress and to achieve milestone
targets, with the goal of delivering networks on-time and
- Responsible for all Crown proprietary project tracking
including data entry and the integrity of information in
- Drive Utility Relations functions associated with projects;
review project reports and identify issues in reporting or task
completion; understanding and adherence to established cycle times;
and providing and achieving project forecasting
- Collaborate with Engineering and Design teams to ensure that
resulting designs can be permitted and are cost-effective.
- Support estimating as needed by reviewing scope and providing
local market knowledge with regards to design, permitting and
- Manage a team of Utility Relations Specialists, Utility
Construction Mangers, and Coordinators including goal setting,
hiring, terminations, performance reviews, training, rewards, and
recognition, and scheduling.
- Develop and maintain working knowledge of utility company
contracts and processes.
- Identify key opportunities for process improvement, consistency
and/or cost reduction
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience
- Three (3) to five (5) years proven experience working for a
public utility, telecommunications company working directly with
utilities or equivalent in a comparable industry or relevant
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- Seasoned in effectively communicating with all organizational
levels within a corporate organizational structure
- Experience working with engineering teams, preparation of
permit applications and construction
documents and network construction required.
- Familiarity with and experience of the rules and policies of
the Public Utilities Commissions and Federal Communications
- Experience working on goal-driven, cross-functional
- Experience deploying distributed network systems within the
context of deploying telecommunications networks within the public
- Excellent organizational
- Ability to prioritize and multi-
- Self-started and ability to work
- Keen attention to
Plans & Aligns - Plans and prioritizes work to meet commitments
aligned with organizational goals. Conveys clear objectives and
ensures alignment across organization.
Builds Networks - Effectively builds formal and informal
relationship networks inside and outside the organization. Builds
influential connections across boundaries.
Builds Effective Teams - Building strong identity teams that
apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common
Courage - Stepping up to address difficult issues, saying what
needs to be said. Will confidently take a stand for their beliefs
when faced with opposition.
Cultivates Innovation - Creating new and better ways for the
organization to be successful
Ensures Accountability - Holding self and others accountable to
Reports to: Manager, Utility Relations
Title(s) of direct reports (if applicable): Utility Relations
Utility Relations Specialists, Utility Construction Mangers, and
Working Conditions: Primarily works in a normal office setting
with no exposure to adverse environmental conditions. Travel,
including day and short overnight trips, required.
Additional Information: n/a