Sr. Precision Engineer
Posted on: June 8, 2021
Requisition Number: 46231
Corning is one of the world's leading innovators in materials
science! For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its
unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical
physics to develop products that have created new industries and
transformed people's lives.
We are seeking out dedicated engineers and technicians who
strive to see their work make a difference! If you have a
passionate belief in the power of innovation to change the world;
if you rate your own success by how many people are touched by your
research; and if you are up to the challenge of doing world-class
science to make real, profitable advanced materials, then Corning
is the place for you.
Corning Incorporated focuses on building a diverse global
workforce where differences are celebrated, and employees feel safe
bringing their "whole selves" to work. Our Diversity Network hosts
18 active and distinctive Employee Resource Groups. Employees have
access to Allyship resources, podcasts, an internal video channel,
digital learning series and trainings, all focused on building and
celebrating global diversity and inclusion. Corning has been
recognized as a leader in this regard and has been consistently
recognized as a national employer of choice.
Scope of Position:
- Broaden and extend Corning Inc.'s competency in the field of
precision machinery system design, development, and implementation
for a variety of applications from prototype to plant floor level
manufacturing systems. This will require an individual familiar
with developing, promoting, and implementing the following; unique
machine system designs to solve non-classical applications, an
understanding of micron and sub-micron metrology principles and
procedure's for machinery systems, the ability to develop machine
specifications and error budgets, the ability to design and analyze
machinery systems utilizing state of the art computer modeling and
analysis software packages, project management of applications from
concept to certification and installation of the systems at a
manufacturing location, be proactive in the propagation of
precision engineering principles and practices within Corning.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Interface and work with the Research, Development and
Manufacturing teams that are involved in the innovation and
manufacture of new products and machine systems for any of
Corning's Divisions including Science and Technology (R&D),
Display Technologies, Environmental Technologies, Specialty
Materials and Life Sciences.
- Focus will be on the design and analysis of first generation
/next generation products, machines, machine fixturing, and machine
components for robustness of design from a material selection,
material analysis, and material behavior perspective.
- Work with other project team members on solving difficult
mechanical engineering related problems, understanding project
related issues, and general process engineering and process
- Utilize internal lab facilities and equipment to develop proof
of concept prototypes.
- Interface with outside suppliers on specifying and procuring
various precision products, fixture, and machine components to
support the projects with which they are involved.
- Interface with internal R&D, manufacturing customers, and
internal trades personnel to get systems set-up and
- Individual must have excellent written and verbal communication
- Individual must investigate prior art and document any
Intellectual Property developed as part of their project
- Individual must document project results through internal
- Individual must present their project(s) for review by peers,
customers, and managers.
- Work as a team member/advisor during the development of new
precision machine systems with system integrators and/or external
- Report on project activities on a pre-determined basis. Ensure
results meet the customer's requirements and standards.
- Maintain records and track expenditures against allocated
funds. Estimate time required to accomplish tasks and monitor
performance against schedules.
- Individual must be capable of executing project assignments
with minimal supervision.
- Individual will be expected to work in a High-Performance Work
- Some project travel is expected and will depend upon the
- Estimated travel at 10% - 30% depending upon specific project
- Travel may be required during installation, debug, and start-up
as well as for routine interaction with internal and external
Customers and Suppliers.
Required Education, Years and Area of Experience:
- BS., M.S., or Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, Precision
Engineering, Electromechanical Engineering, or related field
- Greater than 12 years in a technical field to include:
- Process, Equipment or Product Development or Engineering
- Project or Engineering Management
- Project Level Supervisory Experience
- Technology or Product Transfer (preferred)
- The use to technical expertise to influence precision machine
systems design and development
- Technical Interface between Corning, and OEM automation
suppliers to ensure Corning success on New Business Development
- Leadership - Champion new ideas; lead by example; provide
constructive feedback to co-workers
- Tolerance of Ambiguity - Working in development environment
with evolving requirements
- Decision Making and Problem Solving - Able to review facts and
weigh options using a systematic approach to solve problems
- Excellent Communication and Presentation Skills - Clearly
present ideas and interpret complex information
- Teamwork - work closely with other team members and
departments; share credit
- Flexibility - change ideas and focus based on new ideas
- Commitment to Task - demonstrate dependability and sense of
urgency about getting results
- Planning/ Prioritizing/ Goal Setting - Manage multiple
projects; establish plan and use goals to guide actions; schedule
people and tasks to complete projects
- Innovative and technically curious
- Problem solving and decision making
- Results oriented
- Forward looking
- Excellent external university, supplier and customer interface
- Experience with machine tool type measurements. e. precision
levels, laser interferometers, laser trackers, spindle analysis,
vibration analysis, etc.
- Experience developing instrumentation and measurements systems
for one-off measurement needs. e. using LabVIEW programs (or other
language), DAQs, and commercially available or one-off
This position does support immigration sponsorship.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided
reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or
interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to
receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact
us to request accommodation.
We prohibit discrimination based on race, color, gender, age,
religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally
Nearest Major Market: Corning
Keywords: Corning, Rochester , Sr. Precision Engineer, Other , Corning, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!