Job Title:Principal Engineer - Civil(19454)
Dept: Sustations Management / Efficiency Management -
Location:ASC-NY-SCOTTSVILLE ROAD(U519) (Primary), ASC-Kirkwood
JACC(U538), ASC Augusta ME, Negotiable
Reports to: Manager- Javier Mauricio Gonzalez, Sustations
Management/ Efficiency Manager - P&T
Salary Grade: H1
Cross Company Responsibility:
The engineer will have a central role in developing substation
standards for AVANGRID. Write engineering specifications, create
and maintain design libraries for substations including
specifications and bill of materials. Work independently with only
administrative and general direction from supervision. Develop a
strong technical knowledge base to serve as technical advisor (SME)
for substation design. Follow updates in research and developments
taking place in the power industry, through training and industry
associations. The engineer will lead teams/projects that solve
complex substation equipment/design problems taking a broad
perspective to identify innovative solutions. Able to work
independently with guidance on only the most complex tasks.
Participates and represents AVANGRID on Industry associations.
Mentor other employees.
- Proactively identify and perform special projects and studies
that innovatively solve unique and complex problems with broad
impact to the business. Develop alternate methods or design
concepts to resolve unique problems or to improve
- Solves complex and unique substation engineering problems.
Utilizes a broad prospective to investigate and identify innovative
- Contribute to the development & execution of Departmental or
Divisional strategy. Recognized engineering expert for equipment of
extreme importance to AVANGRID and/or the industry. Anticipates
internal/external business issues & recommend process
- Create and maintain design libraries for substations agree with
department plan. Develop plan to maintain libraries based on
lessons learnt, new practices and industry trends.
- Recognized expert for disciplines of extreme importance to
AVANGRID including following disciplines:
o Civil, including site preparation, foundations, buildings
o Substation siting analysis
o Mechanical and structural design
o GIS Station design including buildings and
o Construction specifications
- Interpret internal/external business issues and recommend best
practices and/or process improvements. Participate in Industry
- Leads teams, acts as a facilitator and experienced mentor.
Develop innovative services, technologies, & make recommendations
with respect to current and future customer & stakeholder needs.
Make presentations to regulatory/public entities.
- Experienced mentor to engineers in substation design and
engineering development. Manages and provides direction for
resources outside of the department.
- Design systems to resolve highly complex problems in non-std
situations & develop creative solutions that achieve division
results. Independently apply design standards, industry codes,
design criteria, guidelines & AVANGRID polices/procedures.
- Has depth & breath of knowledge & interprets processes and
standards related to substation engineering. Recommends solutions
and best practices where appropriate. Represents Process and
Technologies on projects, task forces and studies.
Skills and Requirements
Education & Experience Required:
- Requires a bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline from
an ABET accredited college/university,
- 10+ years' experience performing engineering duties,
- Specialized advanced training is also required or graduate
level engineering degree,
- Possess a depth and breadth of experience in electric
transmission or distribution standards engineering and knowledge of
internal/external business and regulatory issues,
- Recognized as an expert in own area within the organization and
- Maintains knowledge of leading-edge techniques or technology
through participation in professional Associations,
- A Professional Engineering license from the State of
Connecticut, New York or Maine is preferred.
- Able to communicate orally or in writing to regulatory and/or
- Able to lead a Team or mentor others.
- Develop Self & Others
- Empower to grow
- Collaborate and Share
- Be a role model
- Focus to achieve results
- Be agile
- Technical Skills
Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and
in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside
of their regular schedule/job duties. This is applicable to
employees that will work in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and
New York within AVANGRD Network and Corporate functions. This does
not include those that will work for Avangrid Renewables
AVANGRID's employment practices and policies are geared to
hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At
AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement
opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race,
color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age,
marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other
status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about
equal employment by following this link
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran
who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for
jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our
Human Resources department at 203-499-2777 or