Principal - Engineer Electrical
Posted on: June 7, 2021
As part of AVANGRID Networks effort to improve the reliability
and resiliency of the power grid, and support access for future
clean energy projects, the Integrated Projects Principal Engineer
will be leading Engineering of the Bulk Electric System Substations
reinforcement and major Transmission projects.
The Principal Engineer in Projects organization is a reference
position with responsibilities over the engineers of the Units,
coordination with Process & Technology group on standards,
interlocution with Transmission Planning and skilled support on the
project development till it is closed out.
Position reports to the Integrated Director but will work
day-to-day in cross functional project team and support project
needs as dictated by the Managers and Director.
- Project engineering performance and overseeing including all
phases such as: scoping and budgeting, conceptual engineering,
contract management and design, engineering design, construction
- Perform standard and complex engineering analyses, designs and
- Responsible for leading and creating new conceptual designs
based on Avangrid Standards and overseeing the work of external
detailed designer ensuring consistency among all the operating
- Ensure all engineering designs implemented by the company meet
applicable company, local, state, and national codes and
- Utilize knowledge to influence and guide department
- Provide technical leadership in most complex projects that have
a wide impact on the business.
- Mentor, develop and support team in technical skills.
- SME for team.
- Liaison/ direct contractors on company policy, standards and
- Work independently with little supervision.
Skills and Requirements
Education & Experience Required
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering required
- Master's Degree required
- +10 years minimum relevant experience
- Theoretical Engineering knowledge - Planning, Operations and
Engineering Design, Analytic, modeling & Calculation, understanding
the business model; Global View of the Business (Values
cross-functional collaboration, understands importance of growing
knowledge and developing relationships and links across the
- Practical engineering experience/application - Planning,
Operations and Engineering Design, Construction, (e.g. field
experience, standardization "Perform economic analyses of
engineering alternatives, develop business cases and defend in
front of stakeholders.").
- Engineering documentation - Ability to adequately document and
interpret engineering documentation.
- Ability to review and approve engineering work done by others
to ensure compliance with company standards, specifications, and
- Knowledge of Regulatory and Compliance Environment- Local,
State and Federal Regulatory Standards and requirements.
Functional/job/business specific Competencies:
- Deep knowledge of the regulatory environment including relevant
output and incentive mechanisms.
- Deep knowledge company, local, state, and national codes and
- Deep knowledge in Substations design is a must.
- Deep knowledge in Distribution and Transmission Lines
- Deep knowledge of Construction for utility environments or
Preferred Qualifications: (Optional)
- Professional Engineering License Preferred
- Develop Self & Others
- Empower to grow
- Collaborate and Share
- Be a role model
- Focus to achieve results
- Be agile
- Technical Skills
Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and
in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside
of their regular schedule/job duties. This is applicable to
employees that will work in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and
New York within AVANGRD Network and Corporate functions. This does
not include those that will work for Avangrid Renewables
AVANGRID's employment practices and policies are geared to
hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At
AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement
opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race,
color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age,
marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other
status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about
equal employment by following this link
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran
who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for
jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our
Human Resources department at 203-499-2777 or
Keywords: Avangrid, Rochester , Principal - Engineer Electrical, Other , Rochester, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!