Plastics Engineering Coop
Company: Thermo Fisher Scientific
Posted on: November 22, 2021
What You'll Get to Do:As a Plastics Engineering Co-op you'll
help to develop new products and their manufacturing processes from
initial concept to their launch into production.You'll be able to
collaborate with product design engineers, process development
engineers, packaging engineers, quality engineers and project
leaders to develop manufacturing systems for consumable plastic
products for life science, medical device, laboratory, diagnostic
and consumer product markets.This is an exciting opportunity to
work with a Co-op mentor in a new product development environment
that will allow you to learn product development methods and grow
your plastics engineering knowledge.How You'll Make a
- Partner with Great Coworkers: Participate on cross functional
project teams to develop new products and manufacturing processes.
Present development results at technical reviews. Work with your
Co-op mentor on specific engineering assignments.
- Concept Design and Development: Contribute to product design
through design reviews and design analysis. Participate with Design
for Manufacturing (DFM) reviews of new product designs. Review
process specifications and development plans with team members and
external suppliers such as mold makers, prototyping services and
- Equipment Selection: Assist with the selection of primary and
secondary plastic processing equipment. Help to develop project
capital, product cost requirements and appropriations requests.
- Detailed Process Development: Conduct processing trials to
optimize process variables. Use process analytical tools, DOE
methods and pFMEA in conjunction with plastic part and mold design
- Process Verification: Conduct FAT, IQ, OQ and PQ qualifications
for molds and/or equipment and molding processes. Coordinate
measurement and dimensional studies. Document results with detailed
technical reports.Minimum Requirements:Education
- Currently enrolled in a Mechanical, Chemical or Plastics
engineering Bachelors Degree programExperience
- Demonstrated knowledge of mold tooling, plastic part design,
plastic materials, design of experiments (DOE), scientific molding
practices and processing equipment
- Experience with basic data analysis and statistics to analysis
part measurement or machine response data.
- Basic "hands on" Experience with plastics lab equipment and
injection molding equipment.
- Understanding of mechanical drawings, solid models and mold
flow comprehension. Proficiency in Solid Works is a plus.
- Willing to travel domestically approximately 10%Knowledge,
Skills & Abilities
- Creative, innovative and critical thinking
- Analytical nature, responds positively to challenges and a
- Responsive, results oriented and task driven
- Self-directed, well-organized with ability to manage multiple
- Excellent documentation, planning and organizational
Keywords: Thermo Fisher Scientific, Rochester , Plastics Engineering Coop, Engineering , Rochester, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!