Special Education Teacher
Company: Uncommon Schools
Posted on: July 15, 2019
Uncommon Schools is a non-profit network of 53 outstanding public
charter schools in grades K-12 across New York, New Jersey and
Massachusetts. Our mission is to start and manage outstanding urban
public charter schools that close the achievement gap and prepare
students from low-income backgrounds for success in college and
beyond. We are accomplishing that mission every day, with a college
graduation rate that is well above the national average and
thousands of stories of our students and alumni achieving their
The Special Education Teacher is passionate about supporting the
students who are at-risk for academic underperformance due to
emotional and/or physical challenges so that they can succeed in
the school's rigorous academic program. The Special Education
Teacher holds primary responsibility for providing academic,
emotional, and physical services for students who require
additional support to thrive within the school's core academic
* Demonstrate a relentless drive to improve the minds, characters &
lives of students both in and out of school.
* Show unwavering commitment to urban youth achieving
* Create a positive, structured learning environment to ensure that
students observe the school's core values, high expectations, and
strict code of conduct.
* Implement curricula and activities to meet academic
* Design and implement assessments that measure progress towards
* Use assessment data to refine curriculum and inform instructional
* Participate in the collaborative curriculum development
* Provide consistent rewards and/or consequences for student
behavior to ensure that students observe the school's core values,
high expectations, and strict code of conduct.
* Be accountable for students' mastery of academic standards.
* Share responsibility for grade-level and school-wide
* Exhibit resilience to persevere and turn challenges into
* Focus constantly on student learning, thinking critically and
strategically to respond to student learning needs.
* Communicate effectively with students, families, and
* Engage families in their children's education.
* Commit to continual professional growth, participating actively
in department meetings, faculty meetings, and other meetings.
* Participate in an annual three-week staff orientation and
* Mentor and engage another Teacher in instructional practice and
* Include a Teacher in daily classroom activities to help students
meet academic standards.
* Drive to improve the minds and lives of students in and out of
* Proven track-record of high achievement in the classroom.
* Mastery of and enthusiasm for academic subjects.
* Evidence of self-motivation and willingness to be a team
* Bachelor's degree is required; Master's degree is preferred.
* Minimum of two years teaching experience in an urban public
school or charter school setting.
* Valid State Certification is helpful but not required.
* Belief in and alignment with Uncommon's core beliefs and
educational philosophy is non-negotiable.
Uncommon Schools offers competitive salaries commensurate with
experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Aside from
extensive professional development, all our staff members are
equipped with a laptop computer, email, and all necessary
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable
and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to
thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects
the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the
same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through
creating a space for important dialogue about issues of race and
identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity
employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed,
color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital
status, veteran status or disability.
Keywords: Uncommon Schools, Rochester , Special Education Teacher, Education / Teaching , Rochester, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!