Multimedia Journalist - Spectrum Networks Rochester
Posted on: September 25, 2022
Spectrum Networks is looking for enthusiastic, talented and
driven individuals to join the best and brightest in gathering,
producing and delivering stories that make a difference within a
24-hour breaking news environment! Our commitment is to engage
viewers with relevant, timely news that's important to the local
communities we serve.
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news
and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter
Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most
essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and
thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network
which requires employees who are flexible and available to work
various shift, including early morning, late evenings,
weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means --- You're ready to inspire and be
inspired! You're passionate, creative and highly technical, driven
to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're
fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills
and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local
communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an
ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive
attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to
multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under
What we're looking for: The Multimedia Journalist (MMJ) role is
responsible for researching, enterprising, developing, writing,
shooting, editing, producing and delivering live presentation of
local, compelling, creative and original news stories on deadline
while capturing quality visual content. Contributes to special
features and stories. Creates impactful and compelling content for
the viewers in our local communities. Participates in coordinating
coverage of major stories, breaking news and specials.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Actively and consistently support all efforts to simplify and
enhance the customer experience.
- Research, pitch, enterprise, write, capture quality visual
content, edit news stories and produce creative, original and
compelling own stories for multiple platforms.
- Develop and cultivate a wide network of sources within the
community and establishes a community presence outside of the
- Generate original story ideas and develop fresh
angles/perspectives and enterprise pieces for the stories of the
day and responsible for development of news stories from conception
- Produce original content for an assigned newscast or news
- Partner with legal team to ensure news content and materials
meet legal requirements and help mitigate risk to the company.
- Identify long and short-term story ideas, research and discover
the content and set up interviews.
- Research and verify information for original news stories by
being resourceful in using beat sources, contacts and leaders and
- Deliver news reports, including live ad-lib and recorded
reports while demonstrating energy, confidence, professional
appearance and voice quality.
- Report within assigned deadlines.
- Organize material, determine angle or emphasis and write
- Combine video, audio and graphics to tell the story
- Work with assignment desk editors and production staff and
independently in the newsgathering process.
- Responsible for representing channel in a professional
- Craft smart, appealing and accurate headlines.
- Strategically engage in social media.
- Perform other duties as assigned. Qualifications:
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- Strong story development skills to submit original story ideas
on a daily basis
- Excellent news judgement and driven by the 24-hour news
- Ability to edit stories as necessary
- Live shot experience required
- Ability to develop sources, work a beat, and break stories
- Strong on-camera skills
- Experience with bonded cellular technology
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities and work
under time pressure deadline
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication
skills; ability to clearly communicate solutions
- Ability to interface with internal company personnel
- Ability to handle breaking news on-air
- Proven ability to report live stories
- Ability to shoot video
- Must be a self-motivated and have the ability to build
- Must have editing skills
- Must be adept at social media
- Must use curiosity and have a sense of urgency to build
compelling stories about the local community and community
- Requires adaptability, enthusiasm, initiative and a positive
approach to problem solving
- Ability to drive a company vehicle to and from assigned
location while obeying all traffic laws
- Valid driver's license for authorized driving in the State of
residence Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Broadcast Journalism, Communications or
related field or comparable television work experience
- 3 years Television News Reporting experience
- Experience working in a 24 hour news channel preferred Our
Culture: Every employee is an influencer and culture keeper. We
expect respectful communication (despite pressure), openness to
feedback, an eagerness to learn, and an overall positive attitude!
Roles may require the following:
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail
phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or
other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and
power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe
weather, and schedule conflicts NJR310 301044 301044BR
Keywords: Spectrum, Rochester , Multimedia Journalist - Spectrum Networks Rochester, Advertising , Rochester, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!